Friday, May 24, 2013

Lunchtime Oxtail Odyssey : Carena's Jamaican Grille, Richmond, VA

Every so often, I like to try new foods.
 
It gives my taste buds a break from my usual diet of salmon, rice, fruits, and vegetables, and allows them to go on what I like to call a "vittle vacation", where they can experience other foods they don't see or feel on a regular basis.

It's my gift to them.

However, like any vacation, it can go well, or straight to --- well, you get the point.

This is why I don't give them this "gift" during my lunch break. It's just an hour long, and I don't want them, or me, to be disappointed, and then start craving something else that I don't have time to sit down and enjoy. So, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Tuesdays through Fridays, I stick to the foods I know, like salads and sandwiches, or better yet, salmon, rice, fruits, and vegetables.

Until today.

A co-worker and I decided to "do lunch" at a familiar restaurant with familiar foods. However, when we arrived in the packed parking lot, another restaurant, just a few feet away, caught my eye.


Carena's Jamaican Grille, Richmond, Virginia


I couldn't resist. I had to go inside.

I threw caution to the wind and allowed my taste buds to embark upon a spontaneous mid-week Caribbean journey - a journey that began as soon as we walked through the doors.


Bright colors fill the restaurant, depicting an island setting.

I felt as if I was stepping into a little tropical bungalow - decorated with bright greens, blues, and yellows. A huge mural covered the walls, depicting women dancing, children playing, and a pair walking down a dusty pathway. The temperature was pleasant, with several overhead fans creating a nice breeze. All I needed to make this setting even more ideal was sand under my feet and Bob Marley telling me to "dry my tears" in a way only he could deliver.

The menu included the typical Jamaican fare: chicken, goat, and pork, either "curried" or "jerked". But I decided to go with something I had heard of but never really knew what it was (and never bothered to ask)  - an entrĂ©e of oxtail, which included peas, rice, and stewed cabbage.


Menu features authentic Jamaican cuisine.

The front of the menu encouraged visitors to eat the oxtail as Jamaicans do- which meant putting the oxtail in your mouth, scraping the flavor off with your teeth, and discarding the bone.

I didn't go that far because 1) I didn't want to mess up my suit, 2) I didn't want pieces of "tail" hanging out of my teeth when I went back to work, and 3) I just couldn't shake the thought of eating something's tail. It's a bit of a turn off, but still, I've always wondered how it tastes. (Now that I really think about it, it's a little disturbing to know that I've dreamed of tasting the tail of an ox.)


Entree of oxtail, rice and peas, and steamed cabbage.

The waitress brought out my lunch-sized order, which turned out to be the size of breakfast, lunch, and dinner combined! The portions were huge! (Not bad for $12.)

I was excited, yet nervous to try it.

Would this be the "vittle vacation" my taste buds had longed for, or would it be a destination disaster?

I cut off a portion of the meat, mixed it with a forkful of peas and rice, and took a bite - only to realize that oxtail is simply another fancy word for beef. It's "bonier" and "fattier" than the beef I've eaten in the past, but it's just beef.

Go figure...

Now, I've never been a big beef eater, but I must admit, this dish is quite tasty. In fact, it was so tender and juicy that I ate a lot more of it than I thought I would. The steamed cabbage had a fresh crunch to it, and the peas and rice were seasoned to perfection - no condiments required. I was as full as an ox, and still ended up carrying out a "to go" plate. I felt satisfied and happy. I guess that's why it's considered a comfort dish throughout the Caribbean, and even here in the U.S.

I'd say this "vittle vacation" was a success.

My taste buds say the same. In fact, they're already asking me, "when is our next vacation?"

In my best Jamaican accent, I say, "Soon come, my children. Soon come."


Carena's Jamaican Grille is located at 7102 Midlothian Turnpike in Richmond. The restaurant is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment