Sunday, April 10, 2016

South Africa 2016: Adventures with Elephants


Moments before I hopped on a plane to South Africa, I smiled as my mom ended our phone conversation with this warning-

“Don’t go over there feeding somethin' with a mouth bigger than your head, 'cause I hear those rusty-a** elephants over there are somethin' else.”

Sage advice. (And when I think about it, elephants do look like they could use a few coats of Vaseline Intensive Care.)

So, I heeded her words - at least, for three days. However, on the fourth day, things changed. That's when I was made aware of the elephants in the room - or in this case, the elephants in the neighborhood. They were part of the Adventures with Elephants program, located in Bela Bela, which is about two hours outside of Johannesburg.





Since I was staying just a few miles down the road at Mabula Game Lodge, I had to go and check them out. When it came to "elephant interaction," mine was limited to seeing the portly pachyderms in zoos, circuses, and on television as cartoon characters such as Babar, Horton, and Dumbo - you know, the cute, big-eyed ones that could talk. So, I figured this would be my only chance to get up close and personal with the real thing - a few tall, dark, and handsome beasts of the bush.

Chishuru gives out a little "sugar" to all those who come to visit.
And "up close and personal" is what I got.

Within two hours of my arrival,  I met, kissed, and yes, even fed Chova, Chishuru, Mussina, Shan, Nuanedi, and baby Zambezi - six African elephants, the largest (and one of the most dangerous) land animals on Earth. I held their trunks. Felt the wiry tufts of their tails. Closely examined their tough feet. Whispered sweet nothings into their floppy ears. Watched them shamelessly relieve themselves more times than I thought was possible for any animal on this Earth.

Getting to know Chova, the largest male elephant on the site. Fortunately, we hit it off.

Looks like Chova and I are made for each other.
Posing with a few group members as Chova provides a stunning backdrop.

Baby Zambezi was a crowd favorite. Like any baby, he is extremely playful, and loves being the center of attention.
I even rode Chishuru. Now, this is a big deal within itself, being that the only animal I had ever ridden was a miniature pony at a middle school carnival, and it made me nervous, even though my feet were mere inches off the ground. I'm also usually frightened of anything with four (or more) legs. So, Chishuru was a big step for me. A huge, stubborn, yet hilarious step. 

Chisuru was considered the most pigheaded elephant of the bunch. When it was time to go, he didn't want to go. And once he got started, he didn't want to stop. He also ate almost every tree in his path along our nearly 30 minute journey. However, in spite of all of this, I loved the rascal.

Riding on top of Chisuru. As stubborn as he is, he is quite a lovable character.
The view from on top of Chisuru.
Posing with Chisuru and guide, Thabo.
The elephants, along with Trouble the meerkat and an unnamed wild ostrich, brought some of the biggest smiles to my face to date. 

Trouble the Meerkat prances around this place as if he owns it. He loves attention, and lots of it.

This is a wild ostrich, so she does not have a name. However, she wants the same attention (and food) given to the elephants, and she goes out of her way to get it.

So, sorry mom. I guess when it comes to animals, I’m just a sucker for cute, rusty-a**, deadly beasts…


No comments: