Friday, October 12, 2018

India’s Golden Triangle: Sending A Message Without Saying A Word (October 2018)




What began as a method of comfort (and cuteness) has turned into quite a conversation starter during my journey here in India. I’m talking about the faux locs I’m sporting as my crown.

Let me tell you, these midnight-colored ropes swinging across my back are bringing all the boys to the yard. And the girls, too. 






Seriously, they are turning the heads of men and women in a positive way, and not a day has gone by without people walking by, staring and smiling while pointing at my hair and sharing their compliments, and asking for pictures.

“I like your hair, Miss.”

“Those are beautiful.”

“Dreadlocks take a long time to grow. Good job.”

“Are you Indian?” (Depending on who you ask, dreadlocks supposedly originated in India. In fact, ancient drawings of the Hindu god, Shiva, show his head adorned with locs.)

This hair has allowed me to meet and interact with a number of fantastic people, including this beauty in blue right here.



She and her husband make and sell a variety of quality pottery pieces. So, our tour guide, Rachna, lead us to the couple’s home to see exactly how they create their art.





Rachna began translating what was being said. She soon paused, looked at me, and said “She is fascinated with your hair.”

The woman came closer to me, stared, smiled, and continuously patted my face and hair like a loving grandmother. 


Long story short, my visit ended with a photo shoot - at her request. She grabbed an exquisite orange scarf and placed it on my head, so that we would look alike. (By the way, in this particular community (or caste), orange symbolizes “mother of one son.” Perhaps she knows something I don’t...) We took several pictures because she wanted a closeup, then a full body shot (to display the jewelry on her ankles and feet). We soon got her husband in on the action as well, which really seemed to tickle her.



I’m tickled that these fake locs are helping to create real, and at times, hilariously fun moments between strangers. 




They don’t know me, and I don’t know them. But this hair is sending a message without me having to say a word, and whatever that message is, it is helping to make this trip even more unforgettable...

No comments:

Post a Comment