Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Miracle in Stone: Natural Bridge, Virginia


As I pulled over to snap pictures along I-64 just outside of Charlottesville, I came to a startling realization on that sunny, but cool Sunday afternoon.

Virginia is just as beautiful as Tennessee.

There. I said it.

This was a tough confession coming from a born and bred Tennessee tigress. (That's what I call myself.) If you've ever driven through the “Volunteer State” - particularly its central and eastern parts - you know Tennessee's rolling hills, winding roads, and colorful landscape are hard to match.

Until you drive through Central Virginia.

This was the scene to my right as I joined a small group of spectators at Scenic View.


Here's what I saw when I turned my head to the left.


If I had more time, I would have taken off running across the terrain, gathered my skirt and petticoat, and twirled at a dizzying speed while singing at the top of my lungs.

You know, kind of like Fraulein Maria.

"The Sound of Music"
Photo courtesy: New York Times
However, I would have to save my romp for another day because 1) I wasn't wearing my skirt and petticoat, and 2) I was in a hurry to see if one of Virginia's most popular natural wonders lived up to its "breathtaking" hype.

A little over an hour later, after getting into my car and heading southwest to Natural Bridge, Virginia, I found out it did.


Natural Bridge is a sight you have to see in person to understand the magnitude of it. According to the information posted on the grounds, the bridge - which is 215 feet tall and 100 feet wide - is at least 500 million years old. It was carved by Cedar Creek, under the watchful eye of Mother Nature. 



The Monacans, who lived in the area until the 1700s, called it the "bridge of God" because they believed it was created as an escape route from their enemies.I could see and feel why they connected God to this place. Not only is the bridge perfectly formed, the area around it is the epitome of peace, with its soothing streams and majestic trees. Even as giggling children, chatty adults, and barking dogs filled the park, the serenity of the place somehow drowned out the noise.








While the bridge was the main attraction, I came across a couple of “honorable mentions” during my three-hour, self-guided tour. I walked along the Cedar Creek Nature Trail, and discovered an opening to what looked like a small cave. I heard rushing water inside the opening, but I couldn’t see it. I later learned this is called “The Lost River”. 


According to legend, no one has found the beginning or end of this river. People have sent dye and flotation devices inside with no luck. One of the “actors” of the Native American Village (a recreation of Monacan life in the 18th century) told me that two men went inside of the cave to find an answer to this mystery. The duo never returned.


Another interesting sight was a fancy feline named Mimosa. Like me, she was visitor to Natural Bridge. Unlike me, she wore a leash and a pink floral harness. We met when she jumped on to the bench I sat on while snapping pictures of the bridge. Her owners told me that Mimosa was an indoor cat, and they “leashed her up” to take her out for a little fresh air. I stroked her back. She stepped on to my lap and placed her nose under my chin. She then started sniffing my camera. I asked, “Would you like for me to take a picture of you?” She looked at me. I looked at her. One thing led to another, and voila' - a picture that could hang inside of a cat museum.




Natural Bridge, Virginia is a destination that offers something for everyone, including a tour of caverns, a butterfly exhibit, and a wax museum.

However, you'll most likely spend most of your trip gazing at the beauty of the bridge, shaking your head in awe while saying through clinched teeth, "Yes. Virginia is just as beautiful as Tennessee."

Or is that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment